WELCOME TO Val's Alentejo -I write about my region of Alentejo. My art ,painting, my cottages, Family life, my animals -Travels And my love for Roses- and rural country life.

Saturday 4 July 2015

A birds life

Living in the rural countryside, we  also see some good things and bad , that mother nature sends .   Pedro was working in the garden, clearing the usual garden stuff.  I was helping a little.. not that i can bend down  to do the hard work or anything. but i like to do what i can.    As I walked around the back of the one hedgerow of Oleanders .. There was my little Jeffrey- Cassidy , with something in his mouth.. he came over to me  with such happiness in his gait.. dropped a headless bird in front of me. His eyes looking up at me with sheer glee. As if to say.. look I am a good boy. 
   This has happened before .How do I know,! well one would think I had a cat here at my Quinta.. but i only have the 5 dogs, and often I see feathers around on the ground..  Before Pedro took it away, we examined the bird. it was a bird with large feathers. very different.    I know that in that area, early morning or late afternoon, I have seen blackbirds hopping along the ground and fly up into the trees.  I am sure it was a female blackbird.
 
 Next morning, while having my tea.   I heard this very faint sound of tweet tweet.  I looked for several minutes.   And there I saw her.    A tiny little baby.     My heart went out to her. She just sat there not moving.  Obviously waiting for mommy to bring her food.

                           I got in as close as I could to take these photos.. i didnt want her to fall.
So so cute.. i wish i could have kept her.
          The bird that Jeffrey had cought.. was the mother.  The feathers are the same.   I am not sure if it was a female.. as males have yellow beaks.. "melroes" in portuguese.  You can actually tame them.
Isn't she just the cutest little thing.  I have never been so close to a little baby bird.
         She was there for most of the day.. later in the evening.. i went to look for her, and she had gone. I hoped that she had flown to her other members of her family, that I know are close by.

I cant chastise Jeffrey... He lives in an animals world.  Its the way of nature.    There are all kinds of little creatures and snakes and rabbits that are around., a few years ago, he brought me a little baby rabbit.

Just a little story of a little bird and daily life in the country.


Val

Wishing all my American blogger friends.. A very happy 4th JULY.

15 comments:

  1. Aww I do enjoy the birds that sing to me each morning, yes that is how it is though!
    Enjoy your day, Val !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sylvia,
      I too enjoy the birdsong in the morning and evenings.. but nature has its way's.. x

      Delete
  2. nature's way is not always easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tex..
      nice to see you.
      No its not.. You know that only too well.
      I felt sorry for the little bird.. I am sure it flew off to its family.

      Delete
  3. Val,
    What a sight that must have been to see the baby bird. I really loved these pictures, as the birds are very special to me. I especially liked close-up one where he is sniffing the flower, so pretty.

    It is our Fourth of July today, and very hot.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheri,
      wishing you a happy 4th July.
      The little baby has gone.. I do hope i will see it again.
      I could have gotten closer.. but didnt want to scare him
      Thanks for coming to visit .. always so great to see you.x

      Delete
  4. What a sweet baby blackbird, Val, and I do hope it fends for itself OK. Were you tempted to raise it yourself in a cage? I did that once for a baby dove, until it was able to fly away, and enjoyed being a bird-mother very much. I fed it with a medicine dropper with food I bought from the Vet. No, you can't chastise your doggie; they are so proud when they bring something to you like that. Happy Sunday xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia,
      I have the same feeling.. i hope that it can fend for itself.. I am sorry now, that i didnt catch it..it would have been pretty easy and reared it until it could fly away.. like you i have done it once before.. but unfortunately the bird didnt like the cage. Poor Jeffrey.. he was so proud.. country life Patricia.. xxx

      Delete
  5. You captured so beautifully the birds on the oleanders branches Val! It was a joy to look at your photos this morning!
    Have a happy Sunday
    Olympia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy with the photos Olympia.. but now sorry that i didnt try to catch it and make sure it was ok. But one cannot do everything .. I am sure its fine.

      Delete
  6. Oh the poor birds - they do suffer when there are cats and dogs about - but you cannot stop their instincts can you. I just hope it survives. I see you've been having a play with your colour scheme - very colourful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its such a shame. It must go on all the time. As I am in the rural area and the dogs sometimes go walk about.
      Thanks for noticing my color scheme.. I think i will try and change it.. its a little rainbowy.. thanks Elaine.

      Delete
  7. The ways of nature are not always so pleasant . . . I love opening my bedroom window at night and then waking to the songs of birds in the morning. It's a lovely way to start the day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie,
      nice to see you. Yes , its natures way.. I too love the bird song .. very peaceful.
      wishing you a good week. xx thanks for coming over..

      Delete
  8. How lovely to get so close to the baby bird. Our previous cat was such a hunter and caught so many birds over the years. It was horrible but those instincts are so in bred. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

comments will be published after approval