WELCOME TO Val's Alentejo -I write about my region of Alentejo. My art ,painting, my cottages, Family life, my animals -Travels And my love for Roses- and rural country life.

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Some new tricks!

     I am sure many of you will remember 'Surprise'  Our young filly that  I might say is very naughty.
I posted a blog about her and her mum Pascoa and Shilah coming into my inner garden and eating a lot of my plants earlier on this year.!     Here is my youngest son Filipe riding her for the very first time. Her first day to be mounted.
                  She's looking beautiful and ready now to learn some new tricks.  That is what has been happening around Mr. M's farm during these last few months.    Mr M. has hired a Brazilian 'goucho' Ze.  He has been in Portugal 2 years with his wife and daughter and grew up near the border of Argentina working and training horses..   You can see how instead of a bridal.. Ze has tied the "reigns" to the saddle. This makes the horse totally submissive ..For Surprise its awesome, as everything has been done to try and train her , but she is stubborn and just does'nt want it.   It was fantastic to see how Filipe managed her on her first ride. Filipe has been riding since a child..and spent some time in Oklahoma on a friends ranch helping with roundup with the cowboys of the ranch.    He was amazed at how different this process was with the horses.
                 Here is Ze..a very sweet man and a very capable horseman. He is mounted on Pascoa..Surprise's mummy.
                    Filipe is getting surprise to bow.  My grandson Thomas in the background. He is a natural too but Sheilah doesnt need the new tricks.
                                Getting ready for their ride back to the big farm
                                      deciding which way to ride


 Reaching the end of the land ..They went on for a long ride and home again.

A little sad to see them walking off.   How I wish that I could have joined them .
Their visit , made my Sunday.

Happy wednesday
val

25 comments:

  1. how wonderful! great horsemen! beautiful horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tex. I know you have beautiful horses too.
      Indeed great horsemen..

      Delete
  2. Beautiful horses, my granddaughter is 10 and took riding lessons for awhile, she loves horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia,
      Does your grandaughter not take lessons anymoe.
      A horse is a wonderful animal

      Delete
  3. New tricks for you too Val - I see that you have learnt the picmonkey technique with the black and white photos and then bringing back a splash of colour - I love playing with these different styles.
    Riding off into the sunset, it looks so idyllic, peaceful and a gentle way to travel, a slower pace to give time to absorb the beauty of the scenery around. Do you not ride yourself Val? or is it that you have given it up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rosemary,
    The trick is on my camera. Its not from pick monkey.. twice i have done something and the photo came out like this. I like it. I will mess around and write it down, how i did it.
    I haven't tried doing this with pic monkey yet.
    Yes, they rode of into to sunset.
    I used to ride Rosemary. I started riding when i was a young girl.. Then about 18 years ago.. My mare tripped on a large bolder and i threw myself off , before she fell on me.
    as a consequence, I have had three spinal operations. the last being this time last year.
    Seeing the guys on Sunday.. I said to filipe.. I am going to get up on Shilah.. I still might .one more time.
    Am pleased you enjoyed my post Rosemary.
    happy evening
    val

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son certainly looks very confident riding her Val and its lovely that your grandson has the same confidence at his young age.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia.. Filipe has been riding since he could walk.
      Tom is following in Uncles footsteps.

      Delete
  6. Surprise doesn't seem to mind having Filipe on her back at all! How many horsses do you have? Have you had more than one filly this year?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah,
    We have 4 horses now. Julia our oldest mare died around beginning summer.
    No.. only one filly this year..little 'Rosie' she is 6 months going on 7..
    Surprise was reigned in well. She is a strong horse .. but we will see how it all goes with her.
    thank you Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Valerie, it must have been a lovely and interesting Sunday! Beside the horses I like your son Felipe. He is truly handsome and looks really proud on Surprise! I can imagine that you felt a bit sad when they left... I hope they'll return soon! Thanks for your much appreciated comment today! I hope you are well and taking care of yourself! xxx CHrista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Christa.. Filipe is a charming man.
      I always feel sad , when they ride off. But he came back later for a coffee.
      xxx

      Delete
  9. Hi Val, your son Filipe is a wonderful sight to behold on that horse! He looks born to the saddle, as does your grandson too. Lovely photos, you must feel very proud of them all. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patricia, pleased you liked to see the horses and the guys.
      yes, he was just about born in the saddle.

      Delete
  10. I think those horses are gorgeous and the riders awesome. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sandie.. The boys are excellent riders.

      Delete
  11. My dear , your boys , son and grandson are very proud, but as you said they ride from a young age . Lovely photos and why did you not follow them ? I hope that they returned soon !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olympia.. I am proud of my boys.. Yes, they started to ride at a young age.
      Filipe came back for a coffee. i see him every 15 days.

      Delete
  12. Dear Val, What are those beautiful yellow flowers carpeting your countryside. I recall seeing a travel photo advertising Portugal with just such a scene.
    This was a most enjoyable post. Thank you for sharing your Sunday with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina, I have no idea what the "campestre" flowers are called..but i have never quite seen such a show as this year. Its like a yellow carpet all over.
      I am pleased you liked my post..
      thanks Gina.

      Delete
  13. Hallo Val!Beautiful horses!I love horses!!Your son looks so cute!Nice post and lovely photos!Have a lovely week!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dimi.
      pleased that you liked this post about my boys..

      Delete
  14. Great pictures Val!
    I am a little shy of horses, but I do respect them greatly!
    Surprise is beautiful and I do remember reading the post for sweet Rosie, I think it was when I left a comment for the first time!!
    Sending kind regards, love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such handsome horses (and son). How wonderful to have a grandson! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very great moment. Horse riding..I'd love to give a try one day ;)
    very nice family.
    I can imagine they had enjoyed the riding
    hugs

    ReplyDelete

comments will be published after approval