WELCOME TO Val's Alentejo -I write about my region of Alentejo. My art ,painting, my cottages, Family life, my animals -Travels And my love for Roses- and rural country life.

Friday 23 November 2012

Someone Special

I call her "The Easy Rider" - I'd like to introduce you to my wonderful, beautiful daughter Nina.    She is the eldest of my four children  and my only girl.
She lives Lucern , Switzerland.    The magical land of snow , sunday church bells ringing,  the tinkle tinkle from the cow bells up on the hills, of beautiful lakes . wild flowers ,wonderful elegantly kept gardens ,swimming in the lakes during the summer months . Skiing during Winter.  I become the "dog sitter" I stay to the bottom slopes and look after Lucy ,Nina's Bernese mountain dog..she is 'ginormous'-  (I cant ski).  Of course we cant forget  the best chocolate that one can ever indulge in!
 My suitcase is packed with chocs for the family on i return.  
Winter skiing - Nina's 3 brothers join her .. its their winter family time.


Nina told me when she was around 13 or so.    " mum, I will have a Harely by the time I am 30,  only then will i  be able to afford one "!  .. Well , she sure made that dream come true.

 photo taken by P  on
her Harley -" Billy Jean".
Nina and P belong to the "William Tell Chapter" of Harley riders of Lucern
 Its true what she said to me! .  Most of the riders have professions that allow them to own one of these bikes they are pretty expensive.

A great group of riders from her chapter.
Most weekends when the weather permits get together  and away they ride off for the  weekend.  They like to ride to Lugano, or Lake Como, Ticino,Bergamo  Italian swiss cantons.

This  summer  8 riders from the chapter, went for 5 weeks to the USA  .. The tales from their  trip ,were just wonderful to read, and of course, what would we do without "Skype".! A wonderful time had by them all.
She had  fulfilled  another of her dreams..! Having lived and worked in the US ,some years ago . She was now able to fulfill her dream of all time  to  ride on' route 66 .'
They had a fantastic time seeing so much of the US,visiting so many interesting places and meeting some great people from other Harley chapters of America.













Nina,  is married to P   and her  two girls are my eldest grandaughters.
Nina lectures English at Zurich University and also has her own Language school in Lucern, with great success .  I am very proud of Nina(Antonia) by the way , she dosnt like to be called Antonia..!!
She has a couple of degrees from London University, and has worked hard to get where she is.




Maybe many of you know about Switzerland!.  I visit often and enjoy the very organised way of life. The Swiss are very "Green" conscious, the country is very clean ..Its a charming Country, and the people are so very friendly.
 When I am there ..I shop,window shop. fill myself with all the lovely swiss pastries and delicacies. I   feel very civilized indeed.  It's a place where I can wear my clothes other than just my country wear. It a shopping haven.!

                  I am coming to the end of my roses now.  I possibly might get another vase..but its nearly time for pruning.   I picked my roses today. thinking of my dearest Nina, and missing her very much. She has given me many years of true love and friendship and two beautiful grand daughters.

                                A peek at my lastest water colour.(Hibiscus) -   I am sure that Nina will take it home with her when she comes for Christmas.  She has a few of my paintings hanging around her home.
Can't wait to have my family all together.  What more can one ask for.

Wishing all my dear friends a joyful happy weekend.

Val


29 comments:

  1. Having just spent time with my oldest - my son - and his family, this post spoke to me in a special way. Our grown children are such a gift to us. A relationship with an adult child is beyond other friendships. I love how you've written about your Antonia - it's a bit of a window to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments Pondside.. I am pleased that you liked my post.
      Yes a relationship with our adult children is very special.
      x

      Delete
  2. Your daughter is such an interesting woman--thank you for sharing this! Now I want to go to Switzerland and buy a motorcycle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen,
      Yes, Nina has achieved much. she is a very special person .. I love her to bits.
      Hope you get to Switzerland and buy your bike! ):

      Delete
  3. she is living her dreams! how wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youTex..
      Yes, Nina is living her dreams. She is a very happy person

      Delete
  4. Val, What a lovely post your daughter does sound so special and adventurous, I wouldn't want to ride a motor bike on those mountain passes but I admiring for her doing so and achieving her dream.
    Lucern is such a beautiful place to live, with that amazing bridge and the shops there are so lovely too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sarah,
      Thank you for your kind comments. I agree with you, I wouldnt want to ride a bike either. but she loves her hobby. She is living her dreams and I admire her so.
      Lucern is beautiful a special town.

      Delete
  5. Dear Val - beautifully written with a mother's love and admiration for a wonderful daughter.
    It is so lovely to read your tribute to your daughter Antonia, I hope I can call her that just between you and me - it is a beautiful name.
    Your daughter has lots of very special attributes, and she is obviously living her life to the full. What more could a mother want for her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am writing from my new smart phone and i try to read the post.you must very proud for your sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Olympia.. wish you lots of fun with your new smart phone..
      x

      Delete
  7. Dearest Rosemary,
    Thank you so much for your kind comments on my post .. Antonia is named after M's mother It is a beautiful name. Her middle name is Helen after my mother.
    She indeed lives life to the full. I couldn't ask for a more special person to be so close to me. God blessed me when I had her, and she simply adores her brothers as they do her.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Val. Such a lovely post about your daughter. You must be very proud of her, she sounds as though she is living life to the full. Good for her. So pleased to have been introduced. Have a great weekend.
    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia..
      Yes, I am happy for Nina..she really lives life to the fullest.
      pleased you liked the post
      val x

      Delete
  9. Val,what a beautiful post!I enjoyed reading it!Your daughter is such an interesting woman!Wishing the best for your family!Have a lovely weekend my dear!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dimi.. Nina is special..When she is around the whole house lights up.

      Delete
  10. Hello Val

    Thanks for sharing Nina's exciting and interesting life. I am delighted for her. She is living her dream. I say well deserved as she worked hard at school How exciting she has ridden on Route 66.
    (I one time rode a horse in Arizona, a moon-light ride and we rode on part of Old Route 66 - it was magical)

    Have a wonderful weekend

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Helen.. Nina is a very organised person and has really worked hard to get where she is.. She was delighted and elated to be on route 66
      How wonderful that you rode a horse in the moon light too.. on route 66. fantastic
      xxx

      Delete
  11. What a joy it must be to catch up with your daughter at Christmas. She sounds like a wonderful person. Thank you for sharing about her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see my Nina at Christmas.. all my children and grandchildren will be together.. Thank you for you kind comments Betty.

      Delete
  12. Hi Val. You must be very proud of your daughter. What a wonderful thing that she got to get her Harley and take that beautiful trip, and how lucky you are to spend time in Switzerland. As I was reading your post I happened to see that you follow Emilie's Daughter and the picture of President Obama. I went on and left her a nice message. It makes me feel so good that so many others feel the same way about him. He won the election and the popular vote by quite a large margin but, it's funny, even though a lot of people voted him back into office, we certainly hear a lot of negative comments about him here. We would have been in such a pickle if he had not won. He is such a smart man and we are finally getting on the right track..I almost forgot, thank you, Val, for your sweet comments to me. You should try a pumpkin pie, I think you would like it..Come visit and I will make you one!..Happy Friday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy,
      Yes Christa from Emilie's daughter..lives in Switzerland she was one of my first blogging friends .. she is a lovely lovely person. At the moment she is taking a break..we all need that.
      I loved her photo of Barak Obama.. He won the election fair and square and we are all very happy over here. There is always someone who wants to put their unsettling bit in.. The country sure would have been in a pickle..!!!!! he is doing a fine job.

      Delete
  13. Such a lovely post, Val.
    I read the other day, but didn't have time to comment,so have reread again today!!Just brill.
    Always lovely to hear about our youngsters achieving and reaching their goals, it makes us prod Mums indeed!!
    Sending kind thoughts love Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Maria..
      It is very rewarding as a mother to know our children are doing well in life. and achieving their goals.
      xxx

      Delete
  14. Dear Val, Thank you for sharing your very heartwarming post with us. Your writing speaks of love and affection for your daughter. You must have a very special relationship with her. Switzerland is not so far from your home. How wonderful that you can visit each other and be together on special occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Gina, thank you for your kind comments.
      I do have a very special relationship with Nina.. I miss her..
      Yes, we do get together and when we do its great family times.. she lights up the whole place.

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful tribute to your daughter, she sounds like a bundle of spirit,fun and talent. Which she inherits from her mother! That hibiscus painting is a stunner. Happy weekend Val.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it just wonderful, Val, the pride we hold for our children! Nina sounds special...I would like her I'm sure!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete

comments will be published after approval